Seven nearly-random observations about life on 8/11/17.
- I just made a record-fast trip to the DMV to renew my driver’s license. I brought approximately 80 pounds of school books to prep for lessons (starting school in 10 days! ack!) and then only made it through one before they called me. I am happy to report that my photo is marginally better than the one I had taken 13 years ago, immediately after my worst haircut ever. (It was a “short shag” and is the only haircut I’ve ever gone back to have fixed after the fact.)
- When I got home I realized I’m flying to my uncle’s funeral tomorrow and have no driver’s license (for up to 30 days.) Thank goodness my passport is current.
- Our farmers are donating a full share of vegetables to our refugee friends. It had taken so long for her to call me I’d given up, but instead it’s just been a busy year. (I can relate to that.) So starting next week, they’ll be getting delicious yumminess like this: . Hooray!
- Owen’s godmother was in town and took him out to brunch. It has been such a blessing over the years to have my children’s godparents to share in the care of and prayer for our children. (As an added bonus, I got to spend time with her too, after brunch.)
- I have been following the IAAF track and field world championships, mostly on youtube. (If you know a better way to do it without cable, please let me know.) The most impressive thing I’ve seen so far is the sprint finish (after 26 miles!) of the women’s marathon. (That’s a youtube link.) Those women are amazing.
- We spent yesterday in the mountains with my friend Christine and her kids. She and I have been friends since medical school (24 years now). Even though the kids are getting older, all of mine rearranged work and other schedules so we could spend the day together. (Side note: it still startles me that the kids’ calendars are as busy as mine.)
- I know I came across as an Instant Pot skeptic on my recent post. However, I just hard-boiled a dozen eggs (start to finish, 22 minutes, so only slightly faster than on the stove) which were the easiest-to-peel eggs I’ve ever made. I thought I had tried all the tricks on how to make a fresh hen’s egg peelable, and none had worked till now. The Instant Pot made the perfect hard-boiled egg.
I really, really hope Owen is standing on a rock.
Check out Kelly at This Ain’t the Lyceum for more quick takes.