This is the t-shirt my college sent my son as a “thank you” for forwarding his test scores. Their admissions department is very clever.
As our oldest begins the college search, my head is full of all the things I have still to teach him. So many things, so little time. I can hardly believe it’s just a year till he graduates! Here is a list of skills I would like him to master in order to be ready for college:
- Survival food: how to make a grocery list, navigate the grocery store, make a week’s worth of dinners and clean up the kitchen. So far he has mastered the grocery store, kitchen clean up, and making three of our favorite family meals. There’s not a lot of motivation to conquer the making of a shopping list.
- Survival car maintenance: how to change a tire and how to pump gas. He’s got the gas-pumping down. For extra credit, he also learned how to get rid of the creepy gas-station-guy hitting on him while he pumped gas. (Of course, I just changed a tire but didn’t think to call him to come & learn how.)
- Survival finances: how to use the ATM, how to do mobile banking (can anybody remember using passbooks, or is it just me?), and how to make a budget and live within it. Our bank offers kid accounts (both debit and savings) so he’s been managing his banking for a while. I think he’ll be fine with the budgeting since he’s my frugal kid, but some of my future graduates may have a harder time.
- How to call for help. 4a. He called the bank to have an unauthorized charge removed from his debit card. 4b. He spent an hour on the phone with the IT department at the college where he’s taking classes next year to resolve the problem with his registration. 4c. He regularly navigates the online help lines for his computer and purchase-related problems. 4d. He knows how to call us. What else should we be practicing here?
- Using Google maps. A year ago, he was completely overwhelmed by driving at all. Now, he and his brother are comfortable setting off in rush hour with an address and an app to find a friend’s party in another town. It’s amazing to me that we have come so far.
- How to play ultimate Frisbee. I didn’t say he has to enjoy it. He just has to know how.
- How to do his laundry. Cause there’s no way this mama is going to do it for him.
Okay, friends, what am I missing? Please let me know in the comments! (And better yet, if you’re interested in a good game of Ultimate, come on over!)
I’m linking up with Kelly @ This Ain’t the Lyceum for more quick takes, so go check her out!