I think I mentioned that I was planning to eat soup all month. The kids have informed me that we DID eat soup all month, but everyone has a new favorite (not remembering that we all these soups every winter).
Anyway, this will be my last post for the month– a little sabbatical until 2013. Blessings to you all, and thanks for all your encouraging comments and insight this year!
Without further ado: Stan’s Soup
This is one of our favorite soups. Our friend Stan made it first, then gave my parents the recipe. When I copied it from their card during college, I copied it wrong (I copied a LOT of things wrong in college) and ended up with a different soup. But we still call it after Stan and make it when we have leftover mashed potatoes. It feeds a crowd.
- 1 large onion, chopped coarsely
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp celery seed (or 4 stalks trimmed celery, if you prefer)
- two 28oz cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup of chopped and browned Italian sausage
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/8 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp basil (if fresh, use a tbsp and don’t add till the end)
- 1 palmful chopped parsley (if fresh, use a full cup)
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup wine (the original recipe says Madeira, but I never have that. Usually I use white wine, or in a pinch, 1/4 cup Balsamic vinegar instead)
Saute onion in oil until barely tender. Add celery seed (or if using fresh, saute celery with onion).
Add tomatoes and sausage and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add sugar, spices, and broth. Simmer 30 minutes.
Put 1 cup soup and 2 cups mashed potatoes into blender (or use an immersion blender). Stir potato/soup blend back into soup and add wine. Heat, stirring, until hot. Serve with crusty bread.