Regarding our Summer Reading Program…
Do you remember Inigo Montoya: “Let me ‘splain… No, there is too much. Let me sum up. Buttercup is marry’ Humperdinck in a little less than half an hour. So all we have to do is get in, break up the wedding, steal the princess, make our escape… after I kill Count Rugen.”
While there are no weddings to arrange, brides to murder or Guilder to frame for it, far too many books were read to give you a list. But there are some highlights and things I’ll do differently next year:
- the children read tons of books
- J read books he wouldn’t have chosen for himself
- O chose books for himself to read
- O & M gained great confidence in their reading
- children (not just J) were coming downstairs first thing with their books and snuggling on the couch to read… next to each other, even!
- the exercise club worked as well as the reading program
Changes for Next Year:
- cheaper prizes. Or perhaps, just designated prizes, so that the free prizes are chosen (and not just the books) first
- I need to have all the details set BEFORE I announce the program, so that there’s no negotiation
- I think next year, we may do it purely by time… or have the kids set a goal for themselves
Did you make a summer reading or exercise club? How did it go?