In honor of your twelfth birthday, here are twelve things I love about you:
- You know what you love. This year it’s dragons.
- You want to tell me about every book you read.
- You want to hold my hand sometimes.
- You love chocolate almost as much as you love dragons.
- You are kind. Ever since you were very small, your empathy has been powerful.
- You are the most enthusiastic person I know.
- You have forgiven me for all the mistakes I’ve made learning to be a mother. Practicing on you.
- You love to cook.
- You are honest.
- You have kept every stuffed animal I’ve sewn you, from the sharks I made when you were three to the hydra I made from my college laundry bag.
- Your laugh.
- You ask great questions.
So here’s to you, son. I love who you are. I love who you are becoming. Happy birthday.